At Great Lakes Legal Group, we provide the most committed and personal legal service in a wide range of domestic relations and family law matters. Our family law attorneys are skilled negotiators and trial attorneys, with extensive experience in all aspects of family law, ranging from representing clients in contested divorce trials to amicable settlements. We create individualized strategies to meet the needs of our clients. Family law matters can be stressful—we understand the unique personal nature of these cases and pride ourselves in alleviating as much stress for our clients as possible. Our experienced attorneys handle a variety of Family Law issues, including:
When you are dealing with the prospect of a divorce, it can be one of the most stressful times of your life. You may be facing financial uncertainty or issues concerning your dependents. In some cases, you may be the victim of domestic violence and in need of an order of protection. Here are some of legal matters our experienced team can help you with when it comes to divorce:
- Separations and Divorce Settlement Agreements: Legal separation may be an attractive option for couples who may not be ready for divorce, or may not want a divorce for religious purposes. In any legal separation, a formal agreement is necessary to outline the important legal and financial issues at stake, including property division, child support and custody and spousal support. For some, legal separation can be the end of your Family Law journey, or a means to a more final solution to your marital dispute. Let us help you figure that out.
- Contested Divorce Trials: The decision to end a marriage is one of the most difficult you will face. Seeking advice from a knowledgeable divorce attorney, as early as possible, will go a long way toward your long-term financial and emotional health. We take the time to understand your needs and possess the skill and experience necessary to protect your rights and advocate for your interests. We are trained advocates as well as experienced trial lawyers. While we work hard to resolve issues prior to litigation, we are fully prepared to aggressively represent you every step of the way as your family law attorney.
- Division of Marital Assets: We take the time to ensure you’re informed about the financial consequences of divorce. Assets that are considered during a divorce can include equity in a home, pension funds, bank accounts, automobiles, investment portfolios, regardless of whose name the asset is in.
- Accusations of Domestic Violence: If you have been falsely accused of domestic violence in a divorce action, you need to protect yourself. Your reputation, access to your children and leverage concerning other aspects of your divorce can be at stake. We can help you navigate your divorce, along with protect your interests and rights when it comes to false accusations.
Child support is for the benefit of a child, and the obligation to pay child support generally cannot be discharged through bankruptcy or unemployment. Our family law attorneys will help you understand the law of child support in Michigan and assist you to establish, modify or enforce child support. Child support calculations can be tricky, and while there are certain mandated formulas, the courts can also take into account extenuating circumstances that affect one’s ability to pay child support. We can help you navigate these thorny issues.
Child Custody & Visitation:
The real focus in any custody dispute is the child. We work with parents and guardians to reach a result that is in the best interest of the child and also works for the parties involved. Note that child custody is generally viewed in two lights: legal custody (general decision-making surrounding health, education and general welfare of the child) and physical custody (where the child primarily resides).
Also wrapped into custody disputes is the concept of Visitation—this can include both Parenting and Grandparenting Time:
- Parenting Time: The rights of a noncustodial parent are often referred to as Visitation, but we believe that “parenting time” is more appropriate, since you work so hard to raise and nurture your child. We can assist with enforcement of visitation agreements, modification of parenting plans or visitation schedules.
Grandparenting (or Non-Biological Parent) Time: The bond between a grandparent and grandchild may be one filled with love and learning. We help stand up for grandparents who want an active role in their grandchildren’s lives. If someone is preventing you from seeing your grandchild, we will help you pursue the best possible solution.
The Authorities take reports of domestic violence very seriously. Without legal representation, victims of domestic violence may find it difficult to take advantage of the legal protections available. On the other hand, those accused of an act of domestic violence may face serious immediate consequences—even before any determination of guilt or innocence. Whether legitimate or fabricated, an allegation of domestic violence must be dealt with effectively and immediately.
- Personal Protection Orders: If you have suffered domestic violence at the hands of a family member, spouse, domestic partner, or other individual, it is critical that you obtain a personal protection order immediately. This can provide you with a measure of security while you — and your attorney — work to put a more permanent solution in place.
Pre-Nuptial and Post-Nuptial Agreements:
Entering into a prenuptial or post-nuptial agreement does not have to be an emotionally charged process. A properly drafted agreement can serve to define and protect the rights and interests of both parties. With guidance from the experienced attorneys at Great Lakes Legal Group, a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement can be a practical solution that may prevent future disputes. Our family law attorneys can help you draft an agreement that protects your assets, avoids costly disputes in the event of divorce, defines marital and separate property, protects the interests of children from a previous marriage and even defines future alimony payments.
Our goal is to help our clients lay a firm foundation for a stable and prosperous future. We understand the significance of focusing on solutions, rather than becoming mired in contention. If you have any questions about an existing or potential Family Law dispute, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-888-GR8-LAKES (1-888-478-5253)